As Autumn approaches, it could be the perfect time to go ‘back to school’ to improve your social media knowledge.
The world of social media is constantly changing, from new platforms such as TikTok and Twitch, to new trends and techniques like short-form video content and email marketing. Social media management courses are a great option for anyone looking to boost their social media prowess, whether you’re already a social marketer looking to sharpen your skills, or interested in a career change.
However, with thousands of social media management courses out there, it can be hard to know where to start.
In this blog, we will share our guide on social media management courses, what to expect and how to pick the right course for you.
Why Are Social Media Management Courses a Good Investment?
Every skill requires practice in order to maintain, and social media management is no different. The right social media management course can be a great investment, helping you to brush up on your social media skills and create better content that will help your brand to stand out in the crowded online world and engage better with your target audience.
How to Find the Right Social Media Management Courses For You
With thousands of social media management courses available online, the amount of choice can feel overwhelming. Whether you want to learn a new skill, get inspired during your lunch break or dive into an intensive course, the right social media course is out there for you.
When considering potential social media management courses, it can be helpful to have clear criteria about what you are looking for. Some key factors to consider are:
- Time commitment: Are you ready to jump into an intensive course, or do you need more of a casual commitment where you can learn at your own pace? Make sure that the course that you are choosing is one that will be able to fit around your lifestyle and other commitments that you may have in your work and personal life.
- Cost: There are a range of different price points, from free courses, to more in-depth courses that cost thousands of pounds. If you’re feeling hesitant about spending a lot of money on a social media management course, you could start by taking one of many free courses out there such as Google’s Fundamentals of Digital Marketing certificate.
- Curriculum: Social media is a very broad topic, and social media management courses often cover a range of different disciplines. Think about certain topics that you would need a course to cover – for example, email marketing, paid social or video content creation. Some courses may be aimed at a beginner level, so think about whether you would be happy to start from the basics or if you would prefer a more advanced course. If you have any questions about the topic areas covered, you should always be able to contact the course convenor.
- Ratings and reviews: Many social media management courses will share ratings and reviews from previous students. By reading reviews and testimonials, you can learn whether this is the right course for you.
The Best Free Social Media Courses
Fundamentals of Digital Marketing: Google Digital Garage
This course is perfect for anyone looking for a solid grounding in all things social media marketing. Google’s flagship social media certification has been taken by over 300,000 students, covering a range of topics including paid and organic search, and how to optimise your webpages to improve your search engine ranking. This free course is taught by Google’s digital marketing experts and you can study in your own time. Once you have completed the course, you’ll receive a certification that can be added to your LinkedIn profile.
Social Media Certification: Hubspot Academy
Hubspot’s Social Media Certification is designed to help you build an inbound social media strategy that will help you attract new customers and build brand loyalty. The course covers a wide range of topics, including building a social media strategy, content creation and influencer marketing. The course is self-paced so you can work through it in your own time.
Social Ads 101: Wordstream
This course would suit those looking for a deep-dive into the world of social advertising. Wordstream’s ‘Social Ads 101’ is a great free course that covers all the basics of social media advertisements, with modules on how to use social ads for lead generation and a run-down of PPC (pay per click) advertising. The course teaches you the best tips and tricks for running social ads across all the major social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and LinkedIn.
The Best Paid-for Social Media Management Courses
1. Social Media Marketing Specialization: Northwestern University via Coursera
This 100% online course by Northwestern University, available via Coursera, is a great option for those looking for a deep dive into the world of social media marketing, and is especially suitable for marketers looking to expand their online audience and build their brand. This course takes around seven months to complete and, during this time, you will be required to complete a number of assignments and quizzes, as well as a final project, in order to earn your certificate.
2. Social Media Marketing Foundations: LinkedIn Learning
If you’re new to the world of social media management or just want a quick refresher, this course from LinkedIn packs in plenty of content in under an hour. This course gives an overview of a social media strategy, from building a social media strategy to selling on social media and interacting with customers online. This course is free with a LinkedIn learning membership, which offers access to hundreds of learning modules for £19 per month.
3. Social Media Marketing Course: Digital Marketing Academy
Dublin-based Digital Marketing Academy offers one of the most popular professional certifications in social media marketing, and counts employees of Google, Meta, IBM and Hubspot among its students. This 100% online course comprises 25 hours of content and teaches the latest tips and tricks for social media marketing on a range of channels including TikTok, Twitch and WeChat.
How Do I Apply for Social Media Marketing Courses?
Once you have chosen the social media course that you’d like to take, you can check what the entry requirements are. Many social media management courses that we have listed below do not require an application, and are self-paced courses that you can study in your own time. For courses that require an application, make sure to share your motivations for taking part in the course, as well as detailing your relevant experience. Most importantly, you should ensure that your passion for social media marketing shines through.
Social Chameleon is a full-service digital marketing agency, specialising in social media management. We have helped hundreds of companies achieve their social media goals and grow their brand online. Ready to take your social media to new heights? Get in touch today for your free consultation.